Help with Rent Deposit | Get financial help from Rent Deposit Schemes

Charities and the government offer rent deposit schemes that can help people who are trying to move but are having difficulty in paying for housing costs. A number of crisis loans for rent deposits, bond guarantees, government assistance, and financial aid near you can help families or individuals with paying the rental deposit for a new flat in the private renting market.  Not-for profit organisations, government housing authorities, council schemes and charities listed below can assist the needy. People facing a crisis and the homeless can get also help with paying a security deposit or rent in advance. There is financial aid provided by many groups for those who need additional support to move into a new apartment.

Many prospective tenants are struggling to come up with the funds for this. It can be very difficult to pay for all the housing costs, furniture, and other expenses for a new home or flat. This is where a rent deposit scheme, payable as either bonds, loans, or guarantees, can help. Find more information on getting assistance below.

Agencies Help with Damage, Rent and Security Deposits

Many councils, DSS and charities are well aware of the burden being placed on our workforce. Higher housing costs are becoming unaffordable. Without help for a deposit, many people will be forced to choose between unsafe residences and homelessness.

There are ways to get help with paying the upfront funds required by a landlord or the owner of a private accommodation. Some are better than others, and your actual options will depend on your household income, number of members in your household, ages of any children or older adults, presence of any disability and the community where you live.

    • Rent Deposit Scheme: Many councils can help with your deposit if it is necessary for you to be able to move into an accommodation. They actually provide the payment to your landlord on your behalf. Each council sets the rules on qualifications. For example, funds may be limited to families with small children. At the end of your tenancy, the deposit would be returned to the council. This is a great way to benefit if you qualify since it means no money out of pocket other than the first month’s rent, which you are usually required to pay.
    • Rent Deposit Guarantee: Similar to the Scheme mentioned above, the Guarantee can cover your rent deposit requirements for you. The difference is that your council would provide a bond as a guarantee for the deposit for private renting that is equivalent amount of money rather than an actual cash payment. Should you default or cause damages to the flat, then the landlord may request the funds through the council.
    • Budgeting Loan: The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) can approve crisis loans that are equivalent of up to 4 weeks of rent payments. If you are receiving Job Seeker’s Assistance,  Universal Credit, Income Support, or some other government benefit then you may qualify for a budgeting loan. You can apply directly with DWP or through JobCentre Plus.
    • Discretionary Housing Payment: Your council could approve a grant for you to use towards a deposit. This can often be combined with other forms of assistance as well. As an example, any type of grant issued to the individual would be above and beyond any Housing Benefit received.
    • Charity Grant: Some charities provide help to tenants that cannot come up with the necessary funds to move in. Each not-profit-profit has very specific rules about qualifications as well as the types of situations that they can assist with.

  • Rental Loan: If your household income is higher, it is likely that you will not qualify for one of the need-based programmes mentioned above. There are situations where a loan for paying your rent may actually be a feasible and reasonable option. If you normally earn enough to afford your housing costs but depleted your cash reserves due to a financial emergency or some other unexpected costs, then borrowing the money from a lender could give you the funds you need now with the flexibility to repay the proceeds over many months. This can keep your actual monthly payments low so that you can rebuild your emergency fund while repaying the loan.

Local Rent Deposit Schemes by County and City near you

Individuals looking to rent a new property in the private letting market can turn to resources in their area near them. There are a number of schemes, crisis rent deposit loans and other forms of financial assistance available that can help with paying a deposit or other housing costs.



Bath and Northeast Somerset









County Durham





East Sussex





Hinckley and Bosworth




Leeds – Bradford and West Yorkshire County

Leicester and Leicestershire County


Liverpool and Merseyside area



Newcastle upon Tyne and Sunderland



North Yorkshire


Portsmouth and Southampton, including Hampshire County

Redcar and Cleveland


South Yorkshire



Suffolk County and Ipswich

Surrey County





Northern Ireland

Belfast and Northern Ireland

Lisburn and Castlereagh




Argyll and Bute


East Ayrshire

East Dunbartonshire

East Lothian





North Lanarkshire

Orkney Islands


Scottish Borders


South Ayrshire

West Dunbartonshire








Conwy and Denbighshire


Merthyr Tydfil


Neath Port Talbot



Rhondda Cynon Taf



Vale of Glamorgan


Companies or Employers

The Co-operative Group


Additional ways to get help with deposit and rent in advance

If your area (county, borough, or city) is not listed, then finding help with rent deposits on your own can be a tricky endeavour. Information is often difficult to obtain, and you also must proceed with caution when predatory loan companies try to steer you into unaffordable products. If you cannot find a charitable or council rent deposit housing programme that serves your locale, ask us to track down the best options for you.

Many government organisations as well as charities work to help the homeless and people who are near homelessness. Offering emergency or short term help for paying a rent deposit, either in the form of loans or guarantees, is a solution. There is assistance out there.


christine says:

I am currently in a private rented house and wanting to move closer to school for our children. We are struggling with the rent deposit for a new house. The only one we can find that accepts DSS and pets is expensive. The landlord (she) wants £600 pound plus £520 for a month rent. Is they any help we can get towards the bond or rent to move in please. Thank you.

Denise Green says:

l am looking for help to find a rent deposit to move to a cheaper flat. I receive JSL ans I am full time carer for my mother. My rent has gone up and I have to pay 54.60 every 4 weeks towards my rent which is 433.00. I found a cheaper house at 375.00 for 4 weeks but I need 2 months rent in advance.
I am currently in arrears of 557.00 which I pay 35.00 every 2 weeks. Would I be able to get any help or a loan for the deposit from social fund?

nicola says:

Hello, I was just wondering if you could help me with a rent deposit. My daughter has uncontrolled epilepsy and Is due for brain surgery in a few months time. We live in a high flat and she has tried to get out the window at least 3 times while wandering after a seizure. We want to go to private housing, and the council is not helping us. But we don’t have the money for the private let or deposit. Is there anyway you could help?

Angela says:

I am in this situation now as my landlady has sold the house I have lived in for the last 13 years. The Discretionary Housing Payment to pay a deposit for Leicester will only be granted if you have a tenants agreement and will only pay what they think the rent should be. But you and I both know that landlords charge what they want. You also cannot get a tenants agreement if you do not have the money up front for the rent deposit to give to the landlord/estate agent.
But its not just the rent and deposit that is due, its also all the agent fees. Then you have the added problem that most landlords do not want people on housing benefits. Being a pensioner I get housing benefits but with all the TV programs about what scum people on housing benefits are, we are all being tard with the same brush. So I have found there is little to no schemes that offer deposit help for people like me.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *