Help with Taxes

Getting help with taxes can help you focus on living your life instead of fearing the authorities. It can also allow people to free up their hard earned income for other expenses and basic needs. You should be sure that your taxes are paid on time, including council and income, so that you can avoid any legal issues. Some possible assistance programmes to consider are below.

Council taxes are difficult to pay. Many families on a low income, immigrants, pensioners and struggling families have challenges in paying this cost. There are ways to get financial help to pay a council tax arrears. Or to get help with future costs. There are valuations, ways to appeal the tax, and some welfare schemes may assist as well. Read more on how to get help with council tax.


One of the places to turn to for help is HM Revenue and Customs, or HMRC. The organisation provides consumers access to a free Taxes Helpline, and it is available for all UK citizens. You can get free advice and information on making sure that you are compliant with all policies without necessarily having to pay an advisor.

Due mostly to the complexity of various national and local laws, many people turn to this service for assistance. The Taxes Hotline is perfect for answering all basic questions and addressing issues where you need information from a knowledgeable agency representative.

  • Main Taxes Helpline: Call 0300 200 3300 for all general questions. Advisors can provide consumers with information, guidance, and support, including on capital gains tax.
  • Tax Credit Helpline: Call 0345 300 3900 to find out how changes to your financial situation can affect your number or amount of credits.
  • Child Benefit Helpline: Call 0300 200 3100 to make sure that you can claim Child Benefit. This can save families a substantial amount of money each year.
  • National Insurance Helpline: Call 0300 200 3500 for enquiries. This service will provide details on insurance and also help with claiming any credits that may be due.
  • Self Assessment Helpline: Call 0300 200 3310.
  • Newly Self-Employed Helpline: If you work for yourself, then call 0300 200 3504 to make sure that you are compliant with all self-employment taxes as well as other regulations.
  • VAT Helpline: Call 0300 200 3700 to obtain advice on assessments, penalties, appeals and payment issues. This may be one of the main tax expenses that people have, so ensuring VAT is done properly is very important.
  • Deceased Estate Helpline: Call 0300 123 1072 to enquire about deceased estate rules, including Probate and Inheritance Tax.

Charitable Tax Advice

Lower income households throughout the UK may obtain free advice through a charity or not-for profit organisation. They use well trained staff or volunteers to offer this service. Many people turn to this if a tax advisor is unaffordable.

  • TaxAid: If you earn less than £20,000 annually, you could qualify for guidance on your income and council taxes, among other financial needs. To find out if you qualify, call 0345 120 3779 to speak with a TaxAid specialist.
  • Tax Help for Older People (TOP): Pensioners over age 60 who earn under £20,000 could obtain free advice with an emphasis on the issues most common to pensioners. Call 0845 601 3321 to speak with a TOP specialist as well as to arrange for a face-to-face visit.

Find a Tax Advisor

If you need to hire a professional advisor or company, then there are government-approved resources that can be turned to. Several different not-for-profit and government agencies have databases on companies and individuals that provide assistance to consumers. Be sure to try one of these services in order to get help with locating a reputable advisor. There are many companies and groups that provide the tax advice that you need.

  • England and Wales: Call 01908 248100 to search for approved members of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales (ICAEW).
  • Scotland: Call 0131 347 0100 to find a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland (ICAS).
  • National firms can also provide recommended referrals. Call 0141 582 2000 for the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). Another option is to dial 0844 251 0830 for the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT). Or individuals can gain a referral through the Chartered Institution of Taxation (CIOT) by calling 020 7340 0550.

By getting assistance with filing or paying taxes through a reputable advisor or professional, you can be sure to avoid additional problems that can result from inaccurate advice. These referral sources ensure that you only speak with a qualified advisor that is specially trained on the various laws and regulations.


nigel tyrer says:

I have a take home pay of 270 pounds a week. My partner takes home 150 a week. I pay 30 pound council tax straightaway a week. My rents 125 a week then theirs my all my other bills and I’m left with a deficit minus I’m in arrears with all my bills.
I was on the sick for 6 months last year with heart attack and the housing benefit didn’t cover rent and got only 5 pound off council tax so partner had to get loan and council said I was getting to much housing benefit before this. Even though I correctly told them the write info so I am thousands in arrears with that with bedroom tax. I am trying to get council house which are half the price what I’m paying to no avail. I’m with Step change and have cut down on spending.
I have got car repairs and insurance to pay I travel 30 mile to work at 4 in the morning to start at 5 .I’m also behind with TV licence. Can I get help anywhere?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *