Surrey help with rent assistance

Several organisations in Surrey may be able to help low income families with rent arrears. Most of the assistance will come in the form of free advice and referrals to programmes such as discretionary housing payments or benefits. With the aim to prevent evictions in Surrey, the agencies will do their best to help the vulnerable solve their housing problems.

Residents can contact organisations ranging from charities to councils or other government housing authorities for information on rental assistance. Some of the leading groups in Surrey are below, and each will provide some type of advice on addressing housing problems. If an agency can’t assist, then they can often signpost the tenant to other possible solutions in the area.

Age Concern is a charity that is focused on assisting senior citizens only. The agency can help with a number of issues, including housing and benefits advice. The address is Weldon Way, Mertsham, Redhill, in Surrey. Staff at the centre can provide advice on money matters such as rent arrears and more. Call 01737 645636.

There are several Citizens Advice centres in Surrey County. Each location will provide free advice on a number of issues, ranging from accessing affordable housing to applying for benefits or housing payments. The main offices are below, and individuals on a low income or facing an emergency can call the centre closest to them.

  • Citizens Advice Waverley – Haslemere. The address is Well Lane House, Well Lane, High Street, GU27 2LB, and residents can ring 0844 848 7969 for advice.
  • Waverly – Farnham is at Montrose House, South Street in Surrey. Call 0844 848 7969.
  • Reigate and Banstead area CAB has a post of The Horseshoe, Banstead, Surrey, SM7 2BQ, telephone 08444 111 44.
  • Spelthorne CAB – Sunbury Library, The Parade, Staines Road West, Sunbury on Thames, TW16 7AB, call 01932 842666

Councils in Surrey can provide rent help from discretionary housing payments, or the DHP programme. This is available from the local council office, but the assistance is limited. Tenants will normally need to be on benefits, and the funds from the council will cover the difference in the monthly rent and the benefit payments. In some cases, arrears can be dealt with as well in exception circumstances.

Temporary housing may be arranged as well by councils, as well as general housing advice. Some of the council offices are below, and call a local centre. The Mole Valley Council is at Pippbrook, Dorking, Surrey, RH4 1SJ, and dial 01306 885001. Another office is for people in Guildford, and the address is Millmead House, Guildford, GU2 4BB, phone 01483 444244. Surrey Heath Council is at Knoll Road, Camberley, GU15 3HD, and the phone is 01276 707127.

The Surrey Law Centre can provide tenants with legal advice. Specialists can provide assistance with everything from housing and evictions to form filling for benefits. The law centre operates as a not-for-profit and tries to provide free information. A drop in service is held on Tuesdays of each week, and ring the organisation at 01483 215000 for more information.

Waverley Borough Council is another government agency. They too can offer assistance with rent arrears from the DHP programme above, but this council offers other support to tenants as well. The housing options team from the council assists with private sector housing and also offers rent deposit schemes to low income families. The phone number is 01483 523333.

There are other councils or CAB offices as well in Surrey, and residents can contact the office near them for advice. All locations will offer some form of support or advice to tenants that are struggling with their rent payments.