Rochdale emergency rental aid programmes reduce evictions

Emergency rent assistance is provided through a number of agencies that serve the borough of Rochdale. Each agency has specific qualifications that applicants must meet in order to be considered for aid. Many agencies collaborate to cover a number of needs so that a tenant gets help with all of their needs during a financial crisis.

For example, there is a preference that applicants for emergency rental aid payments first undergo budgeting advice. Tenants who have taken the initiative to review all available options including to put their own spending under the microscope having much higher chance of getting approved for emergency aid.

In order to reduce homelessness and prevent evictions in Rochdale these organisations are prepared to take action. Instead of hiding from the landlord, tenants are encouraged to address their problems without delay so that a proper solution may be found and implemented before it’s too late.

Free Money Advice Service

Successful attempts to obtain rental assistance often start with a free money advice session. Each adviser is trained to review your situation to determine the nature and scope of your rent issues. When outside intervention is necessary to rescue a tenant from eviction, the adviser can help with applications for aid through government and charity providers.

  • Rochdale District Citizens Advice Bureau is the primary agency to provide private advice to local tenants. Call 03448 472 638 to schedule an appointment with an adviser.
  • Rossendale Citizens Advice Bureau provides face-to-face advice in Bacup. Appointments may be scheduled by calling 0844 499 4121.
  • Radcliffe Citizens Advice Bureau may be closer to tenants on the west side. Call 0844 826 9320.


The closest office for the national charity Shelter is located in Manchester. Extreme cases such as eviction should be directed here since there are more actions available to staff.

By calling 0344 515 1640, residents may benefit from intervention into eviction proceedings and other emergency aid. Representation in a possession hearing is one such example of what the organisation can do.


  • Grants provided through the Discretionary Crisis Fund could be used to pay a landlord for rent in a pinch. An average fund award of £323 is paid to eligible applicants who are approved for aid. Funding is reserved for specific situations, such as for emergency temporary housing or transitioning from care. Council controls amounts disbursed through the fund. Administration is outsourced to another firm.
  • The Tenancy Relations Service provides appointments to residents regardless of economic situation. By calling 01706 923513 an adviser can get involved in landlord disputes, harassment and illegal evictions.

Rochdale Law Centre

Legal representation in serious rental situations can be provided through the Rochdale Law Centre. While the service is based at their Drake Street location, advisers are actually able to travel to community centres to improve access to tenants.

To become a client, any Rochdale resident may call 01706 657766 and schedule a time to meet with an adviser. When intervention is necessary to halt an eviction, this is an option.

Housing Associations

Housing associations operating within Rochdale borough offer some advice to their residents. The purpose is to get ahead of rent arrears before they happen.

Hollin Estate provides advice to tenants who are having difficulty paying their rent. The Estate Management Board has requested that surgeries are available to local tenants once each month. Residents may call 0161 654 6686 to request information on the service.