Powys emergency rental assistance

Powys residents at risk of eviction can request aid from council and charitable programmes. No notice of eviction is required to apply for help, but those in imminent danger of homelessness are more likely to be approved for aid.

These emergency aid programmes can provide relief to tenants who are falling into arrears. Each option is based on certain eligibility criteria that dictate which residents are most likely to receive cash payments versus other forms of assistance.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Social housing tenants may receive aid in the form of a supplemental rent payment. Known as Discretionary Housing Payments or DHPs, these grants are paid to landlords to offset a recent hardship situation.

Hardships can include benefit changes, especially those related to the bedroom tax. Discretionary Housing Payments are available through Powys County Council for those who submit applications and meet eligibility requirements. Enquiries may be directed to one of the five housing area offices or to the after-hours emergency telephone at 0845 0544847.

Shelter Cymru

Aid can be recommended following an advice surgery through Shelter Cymru. Advisers normally find specific budget items that can be changed to ease budgetary pressures on a household. Still many situations are deemed to require additional assistance.

Advisers are able to identify grant opportunities where a tenant appears to be a good fit. They can help apply for grant aid.

Shelter advice surgeries are available at these locations:

  • Newtown Citizens Advice Bureau provides drop in service for those in danger of homelessness. A Shelter adviser is on site Tuesdays from 12.00pm to 2.00pm. Newtown CAB is located at Ladywell House on Park Street.
  • An appointment is required to meet with an adviser at Powys County Office in Welshpool. An appointment may be requested by calling 01978 317911.
  • South Powys appointments are available by appointment only. Residents may call 01874 624722 to schedule a meeting at one of the three locations:
    • The Foyer at 15 – 16 Castle Street in Brecon.
    • Gwalia Care & Support (Gwynfa) on Lant Avenue in Llandrindod Wells.
    • Powys Citizens Advice Bureau is located at The Welfare Hall on Brecon Road in Ystradgynlais.

Affordable Housing

If rent has been unaffordable, a move to a cheaper home may be a reasonable option. A money adviser may recommend this type of solution. Residents nearing the end of a tenancy are able to do this quite easily. Others may be forced to consider a housing swap.

These housing associations specialise in affordable housing which could provide a cheaper home for someone straining under rising rent costs.

  • Clwyd Alyn: Telephone is 01745 536800 (mobile) or 0800 1835757.
  • Cymdeithas Tai Clwyd: Telephone is 0300 111 2122 for Affordable Homes Provision Team.
  • Grŵp Gwalia: Telephone is 0800 012 1080.
  • Melin Homes: Telephone is 0845 310 1102.
  • Mid-Wales Housing Association: Telephone is 0300 111 3030.
  • Pannaf: Telephone is 01745 538300.
  • Wales & West Housing: Telephone is 0800 052 2526.

Civil Legal Advice

Free legal advice is available for tenants living with the threat of eviction. Civil Legal Advice (CLA) may be able to intervene in situations where tenant rights have been violated.

There are other situations also that may warrant CLA intervention. Some disputes between landlords and tenants can be mediated with the help of a CLA representative. Residents may call the national hotline at 0345 345 4 345.