Hampshire rent and housing payment assistance

Residents that are behind on their rent and threatened with homelessness in Hampshire can receive assistance. There are organisations that will provide free advice on the different solutions available, and in some cases, discretionary housing payments or welfare programmes can help tenants with their rent arrears if they are in an emergency situation.

Each district in Hampshire has a local council as well as Citizens Advice Bureau. Many tenants on a low income turn to these organisations and their housing teams for support. While these centres will often have advice or financial assistance for rental costs in the form of DHP applications or the local housing allowance, families can also turn to other agencies. For example, charities such as the E C Roberts Centre can also offer support to people threatened with homelessness.

Any form of financial aid is limited, and when available it may come in the form of vouchers issued directly to landlords for rent (as part of welfare), or long term support such as housing benefits. This will also be combined with advice on addressing the cause of the financial struggles.

Citizens Advice and Councils in Hampshire

Citizens Advice Bureaus are located in almost all districts in Hampshire. The specialists at this centres provide support on a number of issues, ranging from debt and rent arrears to legal advice and more. Each office will have a helpline that residents of the district can call, and the main numbers for information are below.

  • Andover helpline is at 01264 365534.
  • Residents of East Hampshire should ring 0844 411 1306.
  • Fareham advice service is at County Library Building, Osborn Road, Fareham, telephone – 0300 456 2987.
  • Hart District CAB office is at Civic Offices, Harlington Way, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 4AE, and the phone number is 01252 617922.
  • New Forest CAB is located in New Milton. Phone 08444 111 306.
  • Portsmouth Advice is at 116 Kingston Crescent, PO2 8AL. Telephone – 02392 794340.
  • Winchester District – Call 08444 111306 to reach the advice line.

The councils below are the sites that residents can ring or drop in at for information on central government funding. The two main ones for rental help includes DHP, or to a lesser extent, local welfare can assist residents in Hampshire. Some also arrange temporary accommodations in the area. Any funds are at the discretion of the district council and are limited.

  • Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council provides advice and support from Civic Offices, London Road, Basingstoke, RG21 4AH, call 01256 845250.
  • East Hampshire Council and the Housing Services team is based at Penns Place, Petersfield, and the phone is 01730 234345.
  • Rushmoor Borough Council is located at Farnborough Road. Telephone is 01252 398398.
  • Winchester council is at Colebrook Street, SO23 9LJ, phone 01962 840222.

Charities that offer housing assistance

The not-for-profits below often rely on volunteers to provide advice to the low income. There is support for the homeless and people on the verge of eviction. The agencies can be a source of information on programmes ranging from discretionary housing payments for rent to emergency accommodations, but they rarely have funds themselves.

E C Roberts Centre is based in the city of Portsmouth. For the homeless, they offer supported housing and temporary accommodation. Other advice is for tenants in private housing that are in rent arrears and facing homeless. Call 023 9273 0053, or read more Roberts Centre.

Young people can contact It’s Your Choice. This charity is only for people under the age of 26. They can get advice on applying for benefits, and volunteers will help them with job training and housing problems. Address is 37 Salisbury Road, Totton, Hampshire, SO40 3HX, call 0800 515819.

Together is a Winchester based support agency. This organisation will only help the disabled or people with mental health issues. They offer assistance in applying for benefits, tenancy support for people with legal issues or rent arrears, and more. Staff help people access services as well and signpost clients to other agencies. The phone is 01962 878335.